Three Ways to Reduce your 401(k) Taxes

Income tax is charged on 401(k) withdrawals. If you withdraw early, you are also subject to a 10-percent penalty. You could end up paying 43-percent income tax or more. You can use a few tricks to reduce your 401(k) tax liability, and those are explained below.401kChalkboard

Net Unrealized Appreciation

If you have stocks or investments, you can claim capital gains tax instead of paying income tax on the company stock amount by putting that money into a taxable account. If you choose not to claim capitals gains tax, you will be responsible for paying income tax on original purchase prices of stock. This results in paying more tax.

Still Working Exception

When you have any kind of 401(k), you have to take required minimum distributions (RMDs). The first is at age 70 ½. You can get around having to take the RMDs with your current employer if you are still working.

If you own a business, owning 5-percent of the company or more negates this exception.

Sell Underperforming Securities

Selling underperforming securities is known as tax-loss harvesting. Losses can offset some or all of your tax liability. Proving the loss is not difficult, and can often be done without the assistance of a tax preparation specialist.

Final Thoughts

These are just a few of the ways that you can reduce your 401(k) taxes. If you have not made any investments, it is a good idea to do so as it can help you reduce your tax liability. Make sure that you are taking necessary withdrawals at the proper intervals to prevent extra penalties.

Image credit: investmentzen

About Shoreline CPA

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

  • Huddleston Tax CPAs / Huddleston Tax CPAs – Shoreline, WA
    Certified Public Accountants Focused on Small Business
    18208 66th Avenue NE, Suite 102 Kenmore, WA 98028

    Huddleston Tax CPAs & accountants provide tax preparation, tax planning, business coaching,
    QuickBooks consulting, bookkeeping, payroll, offer in compromise debt relief, and business valuation services for small business.

    We serve: Federal Way, Des Moines, Kent, Auburn, and communities throughout WA and beyond. Call to meet John C. Huddleston, J.D., LL.M., CPA, Lance Hulbert, CPA, Grace Lee-Choi, CPA, Jennifer Zhou, CPA, or Jessica Chisholm, CPA. Member WSCPA.